Gampy, Daisy, and Donald

Gampy, Daisy, and Donald

Friday, January 13, 2012

The Beast known as Isabella

With acknowledgement to Opaka and her post on musings on bathing I thought I'd share my take on dog baths.

If you had seen bath time with Izzy, our Giant Schnauzer, you might all have a fresh (pun intended) perspective. Gammy called it a reenactment of WW III. I haven't yet convinced her that you can't have a reenactment of something that hasn't happened but she just rolls her eyes!

Anyway, Izzy took the idea of bathing as a personal affront. I would get into my bathing suit, pick her up (this was an 80+ pound beast with at least 60 joints on her) and unceremoniously put her in the bathtub and pull the curtain shut.

We would then proceed to see if I could get soap on her without losing a finger, hand, or arm. At least the blood drained quickly, being washed down by the shower hose! 30 minutes later she would jump out of the tub and shake 40 gallons of water all over Gammy's clean bathroom. Then, six towels later, she would leave the bathroom and gallop around the house running over anything man made, or simply man for that matter, who dared be in her path.

I, being of saturated mind and body, simply limped into the bedroom and collapsed.


Bathing a pug would be such a joy!

8 comments:

  1. Then you must have the pleasure of bathing Lola sometime, who does all of the above and pug screams on top of it! Amazing how much water such a small dog can spread through the house, but you hardly notice it because your too worried your hearing won't return this time.
    Great story, enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to have a mutt (cocker mix, I think) who absolutely loved getting a bath. We'd pick her up and put her in the laundry tub before she hurt herself - she would almost try to jump in she was so excited! But, yes, water would fly, pounds of towels would be used and the basement became a race track for her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, Gampy! I'm sure that was a sight to behold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably Hank, I was too whipped to care! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Gampy, you sure make bathing me sound like a breeze. I'm sure Izzy would appreciated being clean afterwards and would have loved to play with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both Scarlet & her sister Nicki before her act as is getting a bath is a grave punishment. I use nice warm water, lovely smelling shampoo, treats with arms reach, and lots of nice massaging ~ but still they act (and acted) like it's pure torture.

    Sigh...

    ♥♥♥
    Meredith & Scarlet

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi gampy,
    I sent you an email, check your spam folder ~ trying to explain the whole fruit bat thing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey gammppy, i give u credit for even attempting 2 give a bath but the bathing suit swa funny and all the towels and the u going to bed from exhaustion

    ReplyDelete